Why We Don’t Do Evangelism
Below are notes from Dr. Mike McKinley session on Evangelism at the FORUM12 Conference at FWBBC….
6 Reasons We Don’t Do Evangelism
1. We don’t know any unbelievers.
- Sadly, some consider it s “christian” virtue to stay away from unbelievers (so set a part from the world)
- Be intentional. Have a genuine love for them.
- How do we encourage our congregation to build relationships with unbelievers?
2. We don’t realize our role.
- We leave it to the “professional believers” (i.e. pastors, missionaries).
- Who spread the gospel in Acts 8:14 or Romans 8:15?
- Paul wasn’t the “sole spreader” of the gospel. He left behind churches and believers that spread.
3. We have an inability to articulate the Gospel.
- What is the gospel in 60 seconds?
- God – Man – Christ – Response
- We must include evangelism training. What was the identity and mission of Jesus?
- “…but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect…, (1 Peter 3:15)
4. We are Indifferent (Sin/Wrong Priorities).
- We don’t care.
- The answer isn’t a guilt trip enticing those to do evangelism, but simply giving them more of Jesus – He will prompt.
5. We have a fear of man.
- The gospel is “crazy”.
- There is no what to do evangelism without experiencing the shame.
- Read the the book of Acts – Note every time someone shares the gospel and something bad happens to them
- Following Jesus, one must count the cost.
- Fear can’t keep us from….
- “I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes.
6. We have a lack of confidence in the Gospel.
- Do not confuse evangelism with the “fruits” of evangelism.
- Evangelism alone glorifies God.
- Our confidence is in God to give the increase.
1. Repent of our sinful attitude/Rejoice in the gospel that frees us to share it.
2. Pray for opportunities
3. Die – “When Christ bids us come, he bids us come and die.” -Bonhoeffer
4. GO – Evangelism doesn’t just happen. (Look, pray, plan).